From Spiffy Stores Knowledge Base
Customers abandon checkouts for a variety of reasons. This happens when the customer proceeds to the checkout and has entered their contact details, but fail to complete the order.
Review your abandoned checkouts
You can review your abandoned checkouts to try to find patterns that might suggest why your customers aren't completing orders. They can be reviewed in the Marketing > Abandoned Checkouts section of your store's admin.
Abandoned checkouts are available for at least three months in your store's admin.
Automatically email the customer if they've abandoned their checkout
You can automatically send an email to customers after they have abandoned their checkout. Each email contains a link to the customer's abandoned cart, allowing them to complete their checkout if they choose.
A recovery email is not sent for an abandoned checkout if the cart has been marked as Archived or has already been recovered.
- In your store's admin, go to Preferences > General Settings.
- Click on the "Abandoned Checkouts" link, or scroll down to the "Abandoned Checkouts" section.
- Check the "Automatically send abandoned checkout emails" option.
- Under "Send after" option, select the number of hours that you want Spiffy Stores to wait before sending the abandoned checkout email to the customer.
- 1 hour later
- 6 hours later
- 10 hours later (default)
- 24 hours later
- Click the "Apply Settings" button.
After an email is sent, the checkout is considered recovered after the customer completes the order. A customer can either click the recovery link in the email or complete the checkout on their own.
It's worth noting that a great way to entice customers to complete their checkout is to offer them a discount. To do so, create your coupon code in the Marketing -> Coupons & Promotion Codes section of your store's admin, and then modify your Abandoned Checkout Email Template to include your coupon code.
You can also manually email a customer a link to their abandoned cart so that they can complete their checkout if they choose.
- In your store admin, go to Marketing > Abandoned Checkouts.
- Click on the checkout that you want to recover.
- Click the "Send recovery email" button. You can also select the recovery link and copy and paste it into your own customised email if you wish.
- In the dialog pop-up, you can send an email with a default message, or enter your own custom message to the customer.
- Click the "Send email" button to send the message to the customer.
The date that you sent the email will be recorded and shows in the Status section on the Abandoned Checkout page.
Once the customer completes payment for the checkout, then the recovery status for the Abandoned Checkout will be updated.
Managing your Abandoned Checkouts
Once an abandoned checkout has been recovered, it is marked as archived. By default, the list of Abandoned Checkouts in the Toolbox doesn't show archived carts.
You can manually set a cart to archived, either on the cart page by setting the "Archive Status" accordingly, or from the list of Abandoned Checkouts by selecting each cart that you want to archive, then processing them all in a group by selecting the "Archive" action.
About items left in the cart
The items that are left in a customers cart at the time that they abandoned the checkout are not saved, so there is no guarantee that the items will be available for purchase at some time in the future. Furthermore, prices may change and existing discounts may no longer be available. For this reason, when a customer attempts to recover an abandoned checkout, they are taken back to the cart page, where item pricing, availability and discounts may be recalculated.